The Origins of Hartlepool Swimming Club
The history of Hartlepool Swimming Club begins on 16th August 1920 at Seaton Carew Swimming Baths, where Mr A. Clennett proposed and Mr J. Beardy seconded that West Hartlepool Swimming Club should be formed.
The original Committee Members were:
- President: Mr R. Leithead
- Secretary: Mr F Railton
- Treasurer: Mr W. E. Hall
- Captain: Mr J Scott
- Vice Captain: Mr A. Clennett
The other committee members included Messrs
- R. Bearby
- J. Banks
In the 1920’s the swimming baths were closed in the winter only opening on 1st May each year. In addition, no mixed bathing was permitted.
In the AGM on 11th April 1922, taking place at Birks Café, a Ladies Section was formed. With the following committee members:
- Secretary: Miss Chambers
- Treasurer: Miss Frankland
- Captain: Miss Bottmley
- Vice Captain: Miss Hodgson
In 1923 Captain W. Gray was elected Club President and continued in this office as Sir William Gray until the club was disbanded at the outbreak of World War 2.
1939 – Club disbanded due to World War 2
1951 saw the reformation of the club and with the amalgamation of the two Boroughs (Men’s and Ladies Section) the club’s name was changed to Hartlepool Swimming Club.
Following the club’s reformation the committee members were:
- Chairman: Mr Straughan
- Secretary: MR J K Smith (Until 1952)
- Honorary Coach: Mr R Sharp (from 1952)
Captain: H. Sands was Secretary for a few years until Mrs June Brown took over the position. Other Committee members were:
- President: Mr H Herbert
- Chairman: Mr J. K. Martin
- Treasurer: Mr W. Chapman
Above information taken from Derek Hornby (1969). Five Star Year. Hartlepool: Derek Hornby. p63-66.
More Information to come, but don’t forget to check our our Swimmers in Major Championships section.